Five promises to victims and witnesses
On March 18, 2013, I signed the ‘Five Promises to Victims and Witnesses’. The brainchild of Victim Support, the pledge aims to ensure all Police and Crime Commissioners focus on the needs of victims and witnesses.
Victim Support has asked all Police and Crime Commissioners to sign the document, designed to ensure that victims come first by agreeing to the following:
- Be open and accountable to victims and witnesses, seeking out and acting on their views;
- Ensure that victims and witnesses get the high quality help and support they need, when they need it;
- Make the police more victim-focused and more effective at meeting their needs;
- Give victims and witnesses an effective voice in the wider criminal justice system; and
- Constantly work to develop new ways of delivering justice for victims.
I am very pleased to have signed the pledge; this is an important document, ensuring all Commissioners remain focused on the needs of victims.
A key part of successfully implementing this pledge will be partnership working. I will continue to work with voluntary agencies to improve support for victims.